Pages

"What's Anime Dance"?


Anime Dance is the unique narrative style I created by combining elements from classical ballet, modern dance, and Japanese animation (or “anime”). Because it is a marriage of anime style and dance techniques, we call this form “anime dance.” Anime dance pieces are full of outrageous yet likable characters, sophisticated humor, dramatic music, and fantastic situations, delightful to both children and adults.

I believe something new is born when you deconstruct traditional forms and combine the fragments in different ways. My anime dance was created exactly this way. I took elements from classical ballet, modern dance, mime, pop music, and Japanese animation and mixed them in my own way. Since the time I started my classical ballet training, I have enjoyed telling stories through dance. At the same time, however, I have been frustrated by the limitations of classical ballet, in particular the outdated stories and obsolete dance steps. I feel that the deconstruction and the marriage of classical ballet and anime are the perfect solution to the problem I experienced as a young dancer. The result is a totally new style that conveys contemporary themes to the public in this post-modern culture. Even a cliché step from classical ballet appears cutting edge when placed in the context of anime dance.

The result is a totally new style that conveys contemporary themes to the public in this post-modern culture. Even a cliché step from classical ballet appears cutting edge when placed in the context of anime dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment